DEPARTMENT OF GENDER ORGANISES MENTORSHIP FORUM FOR ADOLESCENT GIRLS
On Thursday, 11th August 2022 which was the third and final day of “A Three-day Mentorship and Empowerment Programme” the Department of Gender, under the auspices of the Volta Regional Coordinating Council (VRCC) with funding support from UNFPA, organised, an Adolescent Mentorship Forum for participating adolescent girls. The girls had the opportunity to meet and interact with high-profile women and young ladies from various fields of work.
The Forum offered the opportunity to mentors to, in turn, shared their life stories on especially their carrier journeys. Many of them recounted the vicissitudes of life they had to pass through to attain their current status. They advised participants to be firm and focused on their goals as well as work towards their achievement.
The mentors were as follows: Mentors present for the session were:
1. Dr. Iris Dzifa Adzah —Acting Medical Superintendent from Ho Polyclinic
2. Mrs. Hillary Gbedemah — An International Lawyer and a Gender Advocate
3. Supt. Effia Tenge — Head of Public Affairs Unit of the Volta Regional Command of the Ghana Police Service
4. Lawyer Dina Dzifa Amefinu — Assistant State Attorney at the Attorney General’s Office-Ho
5. Ms. Paulina Nneka Adoba — Senior Nursing Officer (PH)
6. Mamaga Ametor Hoebuadzu II — Paramount Queen Mother of Alavanyo Traditional Area
7. Mrs. Thywill Eyra Kpe — Regional Director for the Department of Gender
8. Ms. Ivy Priscilla Setordjie — A Broadcast Journalist with Multimedia Group.
As part of the Forum, Mr. Thywill Eyra Kpe, the Regional Director for the Department of Gender made a presentation on Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health (ASRH) Advocacy Skills for Adolescents. She educated participants on how to communicate information appropriately, as advocates, to their peers.